Monday, November 24, 2014

Veronica Challenge

We had another challenge from a photo.  This was done last year.  The picture was of ground cover, Veronica and succulents among rocks.

I mentioned in a previous post that I took it out of dog-sight.  Being displayed on the floor  made it a prime target for a teething pup.  You can see why in the picture below.

I worked on it and did not complete it because of the library show and the holidays.  I know----no excuses.  I almost gave up on the piece and put it aside as a learning experience not worthy of presentation,.  After working with Katie, I  changed the color of the flowers and made the feel and texture of the flowers more like the surrounding rocks.  There was a disconnect between the commercial flower fabric I had chosen and the hand created fabric I used for the rocks.  The dyed cheese cloth was much better, more natural.

I  worked on the transitions between elements in the piece and incorporated more hand- stitching .

After 3 months of staring and working, I thought Veronica was finished. The piece was a  vertical rectangle and I  put a small black binding on it.  I  added more French knots in the flower sections and reduced the puffiness of the purple flower, making them less exaggerated.

I worked with the SDA critique group and agreed the flowers were still not textured enough. They were still too puffy. More French knots.  And, I removed the binding, and trimmed the edges of the piece to create an organic shape. 

I have the piece displayed underneath a desk. I learned a lot on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment