Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fabric Vessels

Mary McCauley - wow!  I took a class from Mary last year, designing vessel shapes and producing them in fabric.  It was a great workshop. I did a three sided vessel or 'form', since it did not have a bottom, it may not be a vessel.  It was amazing how the three sides lay flat as they were sewn together and the shape with a twist was made when the final side closed the vessel.
Torque! a standard vase or pot would not have had this result.

I am playing with vessel shapes, trying to produce forms, linings and original exteriors. I have read several natural history books lately and I think a vase, basket or vessel would be a good surface to use for small natural presentations, like bark or flowers or other details in nature.

During the last weeks I have had the time to rough out some ideas in my mind.  I have 'virtually' created.  Now I have to see if they can be physically created. It is a good feeling to have fabric in my hands again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment