Saturday, November 22, 2014

Fabric vessels and Golden acrylic products

I constructed a trial vessel with a swirled pattern. I zig-zagged it together with the seams to the inside .  They were left raw.  I added some embellishment to the outside, just to see how it might look.  The construction was not precise - just together enough to get a feel for the form.

I am satisfied enough to attempt a finished product with this pattern and fabric.  I am using the sample to experiment with some Golden products as an exterior finish.

I brushed GAC- 700 on one section
I used matte medium on one section
I used heavy gel on one section
I used GAC- 400 on one section

I checked it out this morning.  I had marked each section with the product I applied. (organize and document).  The fabric had not darkened with any of the applications to a noticeable degree. 

The feel of the surface was definitely different.  So-      there is a decision to be made.  And I think that decision will be made on an individual basis.  To coat or not to coat.  On one hand a construction from fabric, feels like fabric whether it is interfaced for support or dyed or hand painted. The 'hand' and drape are  different but it still feels like fabric. Using a surface application such as these is like using product in your hair.  The hair feels different but is able to be styled in a certain way.

The GAC-700 is a clear sealing polymer.  I mixed it with paint. The result obscured the fabric print and was opaque, just as this acrylic paint would have been if used alone.  I would like to try it with a glaze.  For applying paint, I may want the fabric to be sealed as well.  This would be a good choice.

The matte medium dried leaving the section lumpy as if it slumped or shrunk while drying.  I don't think this a good choice for my purposes.

The heavy Gel (Gloss) has real potential for me.  In pieces that I want to imitate porcelain, this product creates a surface that shines, encapsulates surface applique, and looks solid and substantial. The surface feels smooth to the touch and has lost the sense of fabric while maintaining the detail and color of the print. It did leave brush strokes which may or may not be appropriate to a given piece.  The brush strokes may be eliminated with a different brush or a second application.  I will experiment more with this product.

The GAC-400 stiffens textile/fabric and is used in fabric sculpting. This section of the vase was not changed in color or print detail. It had no shine and did not create any reflection from light. It had a smother feel than untreated the fabric and was stronger.  I like this product.

I tried to crease each section and none cracked or held the crease.  Of course I didn't step on them. 
There are other product for me to look into.  Some I have in my studio.  New products will be made available.  This is an evolving experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment