Friday, November 14, 2014

Organize and Document

Oh my, have I wasted time! I gave away a pattern that I had created, thinking I would never use it again.  Famous last words.  I have the finished piece and I thought it would be a cinch to recreate the pattern without taking the piece apart.  Was I wrong!!!

Three tries later, I am still tweaking and have wasted time and materials.  You never know when you may need to revisit an idea.

I am not someone who can make beautiful, detailed books of stitches, colors, techniques, etc.  I enjoy looking through them and appreciate the effort put into them.  I just don't have the time to spend taking the extra care it requires to create one.  However, I should spend more  time  recording the processes used in producing  my pieces whether they are successful or a learning piece. I should record the attempts at dying, stitching, pattern making that I do use.   The techniques, etc., not pertinent to what I am working on, I don't feel the need to spend the time collecting or making a pretty example.  I will get to them when they are pertinent.

The ideas I want to convey, the pictures in my head, the kernel, whether it is shape, form, color, line, emotion or experience are very important to me.  If my attempt to create a piece is premature, if I need further practice with a technique or I have not found or learned the key to executing my vision, I need to record what I have accomplished, so I can revisit, re-experiment and possibly succeed in the  future.  I am not doing very well recording or filing or finishing the paperwork on my work.

My studio space is small, no excuse.  I rush on to the next challenge and leave parts of incomplete projects in my wake.  No excuse. Then--------------------parts get lost, I think that I will remember and I don't. Then I can't find or remember that one detail that I need when I need it.

Oh, boy!

A word to the wise, I will take note myself-- organize and document.

No comments:

Post a Comment