Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A handmade Christmas gift

Growing up in the 50's, in a simpler time, handmade gifts were frequently exchanged.  A gift, handmade, was appreciated for the effort and creativity and resourcefulness of the maker.

I continued to make gifts as a young homemaker, stretching the budget and enjoying the process.  I encouraged my children to make cards and celebrate the holidays sharing in cookie making and handmade decorations.

As a working mom with less time and more income, creativity took a less important role and we were the poorer in spirit for it.  Christmas, especially, can be too commercialized, and multiple gifts for each person is the norm.  We all say we feel the spirit of giving is more important than the dollars spent and received.  I think we all really believe this, but are not confident enough to reduce the amount and increase the meaning of our exchange.  The fact that most Americans, those of my acquaintance, have enough.  Enough food, clothes, gadgets.  I know this is not the case everywhere and certainly not in places of destitution. 

One Christmas several years ago, a family I know, chose to donate the wealth they would have spent on each other to a family in need.  This included sisters, brothers and their children, celebrating the season giving to someone outside their family. How satisfied would I be doing that?  Am I confident enough in the love in my family to not express my love in a material way?

This year, my granddaughter will be spending Christmas with an African family.  She took two suitcases with her in late October. Much of what she took has been consumed; some special snacks, bug spray, her journal. All she has are her clothes and a few small gifts she brought to give for Christmas.  A new person is staying with the family, an aunt.  With a piece of paper and origami instructions, a paper crane will become a gift for the aunt.  All my granddaughter has to give, with the expectation that it will be accepted lovingly and with respect.

The spirit of Christmas is an extraordinary thing.  Peace on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment