Sunday, December 21, 2014

Another vessel construction technique to try

I want to try a smooth vessel -  a more finished look.  The zigzagged seams pinched to the outside of the vessel, if not a chosen design detail, is a distraction to me.  I want the fabric skin or the image on the fabric to be the focus along with the chosen form.  I am looking for a different construction method.


This vase has a smooth exterior and interior.  The Pellon pattern shapes forming the vase are butted
together and zigzaged with the last seam done by hand.  The orange lining was completed by machine, all six seams, with the same pattern as the form, sewn just a hair smaller.  The fabric was fused to the inside of the Pellon form with a small iron after the lining was sewn together and slipped into the Pellon form. The exterior is commercial cotton fabric, over-dyed and stamped with metallic paint. These pattern pieces were sewn together by machine a hair larger than the form. This outside skin was slipped over the lined form and the seams of the skin and the form were aligned.  The bottom was covered and hand sewn onto the form and a  bottom piece covered with the lining fabric was  positioned inside the vessel.  The top was finished with a bias strip tuned to the inside.

I like this vase.  I can see things that can be improved. I am looking forward to the next vase and where this will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment