Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Vessels for Africa

I am working on my vessel construction.  I have been having technical problems with re-visiting the vessel I made in Mary McCauley's workshop.  (The wonderful twist is just not quite right. ) But---- I have a deadline to get two vessels ready for the friends that are hosting my grand-daughter in Zambia. So, while I work on the three-sided twist, I have made a pattern for a flat sided, open bowl.

My third oldest granddaughter has been talking for years about a trip to Africa to visit friends met here in America while the head of their family completed schooling.  At the time, they had 2 little girls and a third born while they were here.  My granddaughter babysat the children and become very close to them.  Since then,  the families have stayed in touch and after high school graduation and before school or career kicked in, an opportunity presented itself for her to visit.

She is there for three months - during  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.  Fabric vessels are light weight and a thank you gift is definitely in order.

The first vessel/basket has been constructed per Mary's lesson, with zigzag seams pinched to the outside of the unit.  This method allows the seams to be a design detail, and I have used a nice blue thread to compliment the orange commercial fabric.

The three-sided twisted vessel has been conquered! Thanks to the return of a copy of the pattern from a good friend.  I was "off" pattern by enough to have to start over.

Again, a bright commercial fabric was used and the same zigzagged seams were used on the outside to complete the vessel.  They will be hand delivered in January by my daughter.  I am anxious to hear all about the visit and all she learned.



No comments:

Post a Comment