Monday, July 2, 2012

Backyard Dye Experiments


Meininger art suppy store had a 20% off sale last Saturday.  I bought some new acrylic colors, some paper and some dye. Not to let grass grow under my feet, I tried some ice dyeing with the Procion dye and was disappointed with the result.  The dye had spread evenly, no layering of color, no dark areas bleeding to light - so the technique was wrong.  I'll follow the ice parfait directions in the latest "Quilter's Arts Magazine" the next time, hopefully with better results. Now I have fairly evenly dyed light blue fabric.  I left it in the solution overnight - a little deeper in color. I laid it on a piece of cracked wood to dry and the cracks left lighter and darker lines on the fabric following the cracks.  Neat! Then I dropped dye by the droplet, let it pool and dry.  I repeated this several times. I also folded the fabric and dropped dye on the fold which opened to a miror image along the fold line. I like the results. Layered and organic.  I will work with this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment