Tuesday, June 26, 2012

French Knots used in my Run-Off series

This is a terrible day in Colorado with wild fire engulfing parts of Colorado Springs and threating Boulder.  Other fires have covered over 100,000 acres and hundreds of structures.  It is hard , in the face of such terrifying destruction, to remember the new trees and plants that start over after natural disasters.  So, I will use the example and do my best to bounce back when I don't make art or stumble with technique or what ever.  I am very motivated right now and hope to keep working on many more pieces.

Last night Heather Thomas' series class met for the fifth time.  I brought my 3rd piece in my runoff series for critique.  I have a picture below. It is 8" x 10", fiber and paper with acrylics.  I used the French Knots I worked onto upholstery fabric the other evening.  I was able to overcome some problems I encountered in my 2nd piece; too much contrast and too harsh a line between  the fabric pieces and the flat canvas.  I used the cheesecloth in this piece to soften the edges of upholstery fabric allowing the piece to flow together better.  The monochromatic color scheme allowed the details to stand out instead of being overshadowed by the stong contrasts in color that I used in the second piece.

I loved the French knots!! I used clear tar gel on them to keep the pearl cotton from absorbing the paint and to stiffen and glaze them to project water covered structures in the runoff.  Next month is the last class but not the last of my series.

No comments:

Post a Comment