Friday, June 22, 2012

The SLOW movement - Hand Stitching

"Two Brits and a Sewing Machine" was the program at the "Front Range Contemporary Quilters" this past Monday evening. They spoke of 'The Slow Movement' as opposed to machine work.  I spent the evening hand stitching french knots for a piece I am doing for a series class.  The class is great!  My series is called "Thermal Runoff".  I am awed by the texture and colors in the thermal runoff from geysers and springs in Yellostone. I am using fiber and paper with acrylic mediums to create a series of pieces on stretched canvas. Tonight I was stitching french knots in various sizes on upholstery fabric with pearl cotton and several strands of varigated quilting thread.  It was so nice to do hand work again.  I am hopeful this texture will be perfect in this third piece in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment