Monday, October 17, 2016

I am a Maker

I am a Maker

I was asked about my intention concerning the fabric vessels I have been creating this past year or so.  My answer was that I hoped to share them with an audience.  Like so many "Things" and "Ideas" close to a person's heart, sharing the joy, experience, idea, passion is part of creation.

The question of INTENTION is important.  I am creating because I want to create. I want to experiment.  I want to play.  I want to express.  But what is my intention?  To bury my product in the closet?  To clutter my counter tops with fabric pots and baskets? My intention is to have them seen. My intention is to continue this creative path, improving and enjoying the process, and sharing them.

Entering shows, approaching galleries, placing my vessels in public view requires me to introduce my work and myself into the world of art and craft.

 I need to choose words to describe myself.  That  requires a choice of label to use on business cards, artist statements, etc..

I am  creative.  I have been encouraged to call myself an artist, but I am not totally comfortable with that title.  I have worked hard to develop the vessels I now make.  I am serious about their form and style and what they bring to an audience.  They are my own creations. My patterns, inspirations, My techniques.  I hope to MAKE many more.

I am a Maker.

I will let the viewer decide if they are art or craft, interesting or not, to be viewed for more than 30 seconds, to be purchased or chosen or passed by.

They are mine.  I am happy to have made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment