Sunday, January 26, 2014

Valerie White's talk to FRCQ Jan. 20, 2014

There definitely was synchronicity in listening to Valerie White's meaningful talk about her artistic journey and art with "intent".  Intentional - working with intent- is what I had chosen for my "word" for 2014.  I have come to another fork in the road with my creativity.  I have been 'playing' with techniques and challenges in 2013 and have not been as serious as I think I should be with subjects that are really important to me.  The awesome, incredible details of color, form, texture in nature were the reason I began creating art quilts.  Mixed mediums with fabric, help me show a little of what I feel and see when I view these details.  Good Grief! This has been my artist's statement!  I want to return to that goal.  I will, however, keep looking at products and techniques that will improve my artistic expression.

So, I have started being serious.  To get me back in the groove of using my sewing machine well, I am putting together a pojagi cloth.  Small French seamed silk. There were free remnants of silk from a tie factory at Front Range and I selected pieces with similar plaids.  A simple project to wake up serious sewing.

I had been  considering time of day, mood, light source and choosing ten words for  projects as I began planning the composition, techniques and materials in many of my past pieces, especially the beaded antlers.This helped me stay on course and true to my objective.  I have not been doing that this past year.  I need to get back on track and do that again in order to deliver something I am happy with.

So the fork in the road may be a return circle to a point of view I had lost sight of. I hope the circle will continue to spiral to a higher level of creativity and execution.  I am ready to be serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment