Monday, July 18, 2016

Start and Stop Art

When I stop in the middle of handwriting a letter and start again, the handwriting never looks the same.  The pen may be different.  The slant of the letters may have varied.  The size of the letters is different.

My mood is different.  I may be more or less relaxed.  I may have a time restriction and hurry.  I may have lost the train of consciousness from the first part of the letter. 

It is different.

So, too, are the pieces I lose touch with and don't complete.  Picking up the feel, the touch, the emotion from the beginning of a creation is difficult with a pause in the work..  The idea is still there.  The materials are still there.  The intension is still there, but the I don't seem to be able to find the same flow.

I have just finished two pieces that were begun several months ago.  The work had passed through the mechanics into the final stages.  They were both disasters.  The colors were not right.  The pieces didn't seem to fit together. I struggled.  I had lost the flow of the piece.

Lesson learned.  Follow through, enjoy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment